The MICHELIN® X-TWEEL™ SSL, a non-pneumatic solution for skid steers. The Tweel is a single unit which replaces the 23 components of a radial tire. It is comprised of a rigid hub, connected to a shear band with flexible, deformable spokes and a tread band, functioning as a single unit.
- MICHELIN® Tweel® provides all the same desirable qualities found in pneumatic tires, but without the risk of air loss.
- The MICHELIN® Tweel® starts with a strong, yet flexible beam. It is called a "shear beam."
- It may be easiest to think of the shear beam as an "I" beam, with steel on the outside and inside, but rubber in the middle.
- When either the inside or outside layers of steel want to compress or stretch in opposite directions, this is called "shear." Being tied together turns these opposing forces into greater strength.
- The beam is then connected to the hub by thin, yet very strong deformable spokes.
- As load is applied, the hub pulls downward on the spokes, hanging the load from the top and creating a large footprint.
- The result is a deformable, non-pneumatic mobility solution. MICHELIN® Tweel® delivers excellent traction, comfort and stability while eliminating concerns about downtime and maintenance. Truly, "A Better Way Forward."
MICHELIN® X® TWEEL® SSL is one single unit replacing the current tire/wheel/valve assembly. There is no need for complex wheel/tire mounting equipment. Once they are bolted on, there is no air pressure to maintain.
Productivity can be increased because the MICHELIN X TWEEL SSL provides greater stability and enables a skid steer to work faster with more comfort for the operator, reducing driver fatigue while improving productivity. The MICHELIN X TWEEL SSL delivers a consistent footprint with strong wear life that is two to three times that of the pneumatic tire at equal tread depth. Additionally, the unique energy transfer within the poly-resin spokes reduces the "bounce" associated with pneumatic tires.
MICHELIN X TWEEL SSL performs like a pneumatic tire, but without the risk and costly downtime associated with penetrations and impact damage.